Some of the Madrid sites we took in today included: Puerta de Sol (door of the sun [plaza]), Plaza Mayor (major square), Parque de Retiro (central park). Parque de Retiro was where many amazing things were happening! There were many avenues, fountains, beautiful landscapes. We split into groups to explore this beautiful park. Phil, Nick, Stephanie, and Laurie found huge fountains . . . and nothing like they've seen in Detroit. Callie and Maria, found a few hundred confessionals all ready for WYD tomorrow. Emily, Gibby (Emily Gi), Matt, Alice, Mrs. C and Poke, wandered around and saw a breath-taking monument on the lake. We walked down further and noticed that there were some characters we're all familiar with, Mickey and Sponge Bob. We decided, since Emily had on her teen forum shirt, she should get a picture with Mickey.
We all met back up and decided to go and grab dinner. We all decided to get a few dishes and share them so we all could experience the food, rather than only one seperate dish (tapas). A personal experience from Phil when he tried the calamari, "I thought I was eating potatoes!" (but it was really squid). A personal experience from Poke. "I was surprised by how much I like their food. I thought I was going to be very picky and not want to try any food.....but I was wrong and tried everything. I even like calamari (squid). I have Gibby to thank for that."
Then we went back to the major city, Puerta de Sol. There were so many people. We found people from Pittsburgh, then Mexico, Canada, and then finally Egypt and got pictures with them. Well, the culture is really cool! What this really comes down to is meeting people from different cultures, but we are all there for the same reason . . . GOD . . . and to grow closer to our faith with him! There will be more amazing WYD stories to come!
Lastly, we found out, back at our dorms, that we were going to be sitting really close to the pope at the WYD Vigil on Saturday. We are close enough to see him without the screens. Aaron thinks that we are close enough to see him smile!
Please continue to keep all of the WYD pilgrims in your prayers!
This was composed by: Phil and Elizabeth (Poke)
After Mass at San Demaso
The amazing Parque Retiro
We joined up with Canada and Mexico:
the North American pilgrims (later Egypt joined in)!



Wow, a couple of exciting days! The photos bring back memories of my visits to Madrid. As a picky eater who enjoyed the food in Madrid, I'm glad you are trying and appreciating the food. You are true pilgrims, bringing Christ to those you meet (like the woman in church), Enjoy the experiences. Talk and pray about them.
ReplyDeletePraying with you,
Larry